We live in the boonies, surrounded by woods and open fields, with plenty of opportunities for the native wildlife. Spring is a wonderful time here, with lots of flowers blooming, everything going green, etc. We are fortunate to have a patch of pink lady slipper orchids on our property, with one in bloom right now. There are 5 plants, but we've only ever seen the one bloom. We don't know how long the flowers have been there, so maybe the others are just younger and need a few more years.


We had an unusual visitor at the pond - 4 great white egrets were spotted in the one tree. These large birds are not usually residents of this part of TN, but are occasional visitors. They hung around the pond for a few hours.

One of my favorite springtime sightings is the arrival of the hummingbirds. I've noticed that I usually see the first ones near April 15 (which is easy to remember). Right now, I'm seeing just a few, but the population will grow later in the summer.






0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Although I've been thinking and writing as "freshman mom", I guess that technically, I'm now the mom of a sophmore as my daugher has just completed her freshman year at the University of Florida (studying mechanical/biomedical engineering).

Followers